Check out all of the posts tagged with 'seasonal' below. If you still can't find what you are looking for, try using the search box.
Posted @ 9/25/2013 9:30 AM By Kimberlee Courtney
Fall Outdoor Party Themes: Backyard Tailgate Party
Backyard Tailgate Party
Fall and football go hand in hand—and with it comes tailgating! Instead of heading to the game or stadium parking lot, give yourself the home-field advantage with a backyard tailgating party. Put on your best game day gear, fire up the grill, and invite fellow fans (and non-fans) over to enjoy a pleasant fall day of fun, football, and food.
Tailgate Party Décor
Whether you root for your alma mater or local NFL team, here are some ideas for creating a fun football atmosphere everyone will cheer for.
Create an authentic tailgating ambiance by decorating your truck or car with your team’s insignia and parking it on the back lawn. Add a pop-up canopy and portable chairs to complete the tailgating vibe.
Show your team spirit by hanging pennants, banners, and streamers that display your team’s colors and/or logo.
Photo courtesy of Amy’s Party Ideas
Football paper lanterns (pictured at left) and tissue paper pom-poms are another fun decoration: hang them at varying lengths from tree branches or pergola beams.
Put a football twist on seasonal items to liven up your décor:
- Use mums to display your team’s colors
- Carve pumpkins to look like football helmets and paint your team’s logo on them
- Transform a tall oval pumpkin into a football by painting the entire pumpkin pigskin brown and adding white laces down the center
- Make a scarecrow that resembles your favorite player, your team’s coach or mascot
Photo courtesy of Party City
For a festive food display, turn your buffet table into a football field with this fun AstroTurf table runner idea from Uncommon Designs. Artificial turf can be purchased at your local home store, or you can use dark green felt as an alternative. To complete the look, use white athletic tape to add yard lines.
Include yourself (and your guests) in the décor by sporting festive football apparel, jewelry, and accessories like party beads, wigs, and foam fingers.
Photo courtesy of Uncommon Designs
Since the game is the main attraction, tune in to the pregame show while you pregame with an outdoor TV. Make sure the TV is positioned where everyone can view it. You can also rent or buy an inflatable outdoor screen if you’ll be entertaining a large crowd—or just want to really impress your guests!
Tailgate Party Food
A simple, self-serve menu of finger foods, hearty sandwiches, and quick-cooking fare will keep fellow football fans fueled from kickoff to the final touchdown—and prevent you from getting sidelined to the grill or outdoor kitchen. Tackle any appetite with these tasty tailgating food ideas and recipes.
Roasted Red Pepper, Ham and Parsley Torte – This delicious appetizer is perfect for a crowd, easy to make, and can be prepared a day ahead.
Deviled Eggs – Turn this classic finger food into football-shaped food by topping with pieces of chives in the pattern of football laces.
Grilled Sweet Potato Salad – This recipe is a delicious fall alternative to traditional potato salad and will pair well with any type of game day grub. Get the recipe >>
Sub or Sandwich Tray – Subs are filling, tasty, and easy to make. Wrap individual subs or sandwiches in napkins so guests can grab both and get back to watching the game.
Photo courtesy of Party City
Burger Bar – Burgers are a tailgating staple and easy crowd pleaser. Set up a build your own burger bar with an assortment of condiments and toppings to satisfy everyone’s taste buds. Take a tip from The Frog Prince Paperie’ s Touchdown Slider Bar and include labels so guests know exactly what they are trying—and don’t confuse the pickled peppers with the hot peppers!
Beer-Grilled Chops – You’ll score major points with these juicy and tender pork chops. Get the recipe >>
Photo courtesy of Frog Prince Paperie
Find more crowd-pleasing football party recipes >>
Tailgate Party Games and Activities
Keep guests entertained before kickoff with a variety of tailgating games and football activities.
Quarterback Toss – Hang a 30”, a 36,” and a 40” hula hoop from a tree and write a point value on each one (the smaller the hoop, the higher the point value). Let each player have three turns at tossing a football through the hoops. The player with the highest amount of points wins.
Football Fan Face Painting – Fans young and old will have fun putting on their game face. Make sure you have paint colors to represent each guest’s favorite team. Along with face paint, provide an assortment of football themed stickers, temporary tattoos, and colored hair spray–and see who gets the most creative!
Touchdown Bean Bag Toss – Form a small football field on the patio or lawn with masking tape. Divide players into two teams and have them take turns tossing bean bags onto the other team’s side of the field. Keep score for each team by tallying the yardage points where the bags land (touchdowns count as 0 points). The team with the lowest yardage points wins.
Photo courtesy of Party City
Football Bingo – Create Bingo cards with football terms and phrases (such as “touchdown,” “false start,” “field goal,” and “interception”) and have guests try to fill out their cards as they watch the game.
Free e-book! See over 75 amazing pool photos in our Award-Winning Pools book. Take our quick survey to download Award-Winning Pools FREE for iPad >>
Posted @ 12/14/2011 10:30 AM By Kimberlee Courtney
The holidays are right around the corner and if you’re like most people, you probably have a few friends or family members left to buy presents for. To help ease the stress of last-minute holiday shopping, we’ve put together this holiday gift guide full of great gift ideas for the pool, spa, and backyard lover on your list.
Photo courtesy of Outback Company
Gifts for Hot Tub Lovers
- Spa Fragrances – Enhance their hot tub experience with an aromatherapy gift basket filled with an assortment of liquid or crystal spa fragrances such as calming Lavender, refreshing Eucalyptus, and soothing Chamomile.
Photo courtesy of Spazazz Global LLC
- Towel Warmer – Any hot tub user will be thankful for the cozy embrace of a warm towel when stepping out of the hot tub on chilly nights or during the winter months. They can also use it to heat mittens, hats, and blankets.
Photo courtesy of Brookstone
Gifts for Pool Lovers
- Aquatic Fitness Equipment – A pair of water dumbbells lets fitness fanatics get a great workout right in their pool.
Photo courtesy of AquaJogger®
- Floating Pool Speakers – Swimmers will have a rockin’ good time listening to their favorite tunes while lounging in the pool or relaxing in a hot tub. These waterproof wireless speakers use a base station to transmit tunes from an iPod, iPhone, MP3 player, or other audio source right to the pool.
Photo courtesy of Audio Unlimited by Cables Unlimited.
Photography by Brian Esterlin.
- Pool Party Gift Basket – Beach towels, sunblock, flip-flops, and pool floats—a pool owner can never have enough of these items on hand when entertaining family and friends. Put together a gift basket filled with these items, plus a few bottles of shampoo and conditioner, a beach ball, and a gift card for the local pizza or sub shop for a thoughtful gift they’ll surely appreciate.
Gifts for Backyard Lovers
- Hammock – This present is sure to please. According to the Journal of The American Medical Association, woven cotton and nylon hammocks provide excellent back support and are an excellent tool for relieving stress. (You may want to keep this one for yourself!)
Photo courtesy of Hatteras Hammocks/The Hammock Source
- Firepit - An outdoor firepit is an excellent purchase for outdoor entertainers. It gives them a great spot to relax and gather with family and friends and can also extend their outdoor living season.
Photo courtesy of Brookstone
- Wind Chimes – With a range of musical tones and eye-catching designs to choose from, you’ll be sure to find the perfect wind chime for that special someone on your holiday gift list. You can even get them engraved for a truly unique and personalized gift.
Photo courtesy of gooserocksdesigns.com.
Photo by Heath Paley.
- Wireless Sound System – A wireless unit makes it easy for music lovers to enjoy their favorite tunes while lounging by the pool or entertaining friends. Though not weatherproof, these sound systems typically include a plastic covering to protect your iPod or MP3 player while in use.
Photo courtesy of OSD Audio, Stereostone, Inc and Etón Corporation